A home inspection covers a number of areas, not the least of which is the electrical system. ElectricMan, a trusted Dallas electrician, wants you to know how to spot a quality home inspection report. After all, while the façade may be beautiful, what’s behind the walls is what truly matters. Save yourself a heap of trouble by knowing what to look for on the electrical portion of a home inspection, according to this certified electrician.
What Should An Electrical Home Inspection Include?
An electrical system inspection includes looking for any aspects that make the home unsafe. A Dallas electrician explains what to look for on a good home inspection report before you decide to buy. A good report features the following most common items:
- Overcurrent protections present
- Grounded receptacles present
- Electrical box location and condition
- Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCIs) present
- Fuses and breakers sized correctly
- Proper main grounding installed per code
- Smoke detectors functional and placed correctly
- Enough outlets in each room
- Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) present at outdoor, garage, kitchen and bathroom areas
- All wiring installed properly
- No wires resting on ductwork or pipes
- Wiring insulation in good condition
- Ceiling fans stable when operating
- Exhaust fans operable
- All outlet covers and switch plates securely attached
- No broken light fixtures
- Proper electrical connections for all appliances
With all of these points checked off the list, you know you have run across a home with a sound electrical system. It’s a great feeling knowing you’re moving into a home that won’t present trouble around every corner. That’s why it’s so important to have an inspection conducted by a qualified professional before you buy.
If you have any questions about the electrical system aspects of a potential new home’s inspection report, please contact a certified electrician at ElectricMan today. ElectricMan is a trusted, local Dallas electrician with 27 years of experience; we have the know how required to answer your important questions.