Appliances can make for exciting and valuable additions to your home; however, they use a lot of electricity and can ultimately take a toll on your electrical system. As a Plano TX electrician, I have seen it time and again—homeowners buy new appliances that, even when they have an “Energy Star” label, use a significant amount of electricity. These homeowners are unaware, however, that the more important problem lies in the installation of these devices, taking for granted the safety precautions that were addressed (or not) during the installation process.
The old “set it and forget it” mentality that a lot of people seem to have when it comes to their new appliances is that, whether or not a Plano TX electrician is called to help install the appliance, the importance of appliance installation safety is ignored and the awareness of potential dangers and mistakes in installation is minimized. As a result, things that at the time of installation seemed trivial in the long run can cause significant problems.
Helpful Tips To Keep In Mind When Installing A New Appliance
Ideally, with the help of a Plano electrician, you should have no problems installing your new electrical equipment. Here are some tips that might help you prevent safety concerns with the installation of your brand new appliances:
- Check the electrical requirements of any new appliances, especially if they will be replacing older equipment. It’s important to ensure that the installation was done properly and that the transition from the old appliance to the new one is smooth.
- Call your electrician in Plano TX to help you remove old, hardwired appliances. This is extremely important! In many older homes, appliances were hardwired to the electrical system. Removing them incorrectly can result in serious damage to the wiring.
- Turn the power off before installing new appliances. Some think that this goes without saying, but you’d be surprised how many people forget about this very simple rule. Not turning off the power can result in damage to the appliance, as well as shock and possible injury to you.
- Be sure to place the new appliances where they can be easily moved for cleaning. Flammable lint and dust often collect in the back of appliances, causing a fire hazard if they can’t be moved to be cleaned routinely.
- Hire a Plano electrician to check that the new appliance installation was done safely and correctly, especially if it was done in an older home.
ElectricMan Can Help With All Your Appliance Installation Needs
Chances are, you don’t need to call your Plano TX electrician to help you with every new appliance installation. However, if you have any doubts or questions about how to install your appliance safely, don’t hesitate to call us at Electric Man so we can make sure that your installation goes off without a hitch. Give us a call today at (972) 362-1804