I was over at a customer’s home troubleshooting electrical repair on a fire that started in the ceiling above their living room. When the customer asked me if I could see why the fire started, I told them “Yes!” It was quite obvious a previous home wiring installation had gone bad. I asked her if she remembered who performed the installation, and she said “It was a long time ago, I can’t remember.” If she would’ve had one of my employees who are top Dallas Electricians, this would’ve never happened. – Nick Schaeffer
Aging homes have increased electrical danger. In the U.S. almost 69 million housing units are more than 20 years old. In DFW, almost 1 million housing units are more than 20 years old. These homes frequently have overloaded outlets and circuits. Some of these homes even have faulty electrical systems. Understanding how things are done and the proper way to do them is key to longevity and happiness inside of your home.
Here are some top Dallas Electrician tips to help with home wiring installation and troubleshooting electrical repair:
- When painting a room, don’t paint the outlet. This could cause the receptacle to overheat. If the outlet is already painted, the paint flakes could get pushed inside when you plug something in causing a bad connection.
- When installing your own dimmer for lighting, make sure you size the dimmer wattage with the amount of light bulb wattage so you don’t overheat or melt your dimmer.
- Extension cords are not suitable for permanently installed appliances such as garage door openers, dishwashers, freezers, microwaves.
- It is never safe to tap on to an existing wire in the attic to add a new electrical location without proper junction boxes or other approved enclosures.
- Overloading electrical circuits occurs when too many appliances are plugged into a single electrical circuit or outlet resulting in a tripped circuit breaker and overheating.
There is no substitute for a licensed, insured professional electrician. Having a handy man or a friend of the family perform the work could not only endanger your family in your home, but also cost you more money in the long run. When considering a top Dallas electrician for your home wiring installation or Troubleshooting Electrical Repair needs you can trust ElectricMan to get the job done right. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t ever hesitate to give us a call!