Skip to Content

What to Do in the Event of an Electrical Emergency

Electrocuted man holding a fried cable.

When someone suffers from an electric shock, they can get knocked unconscious. It may be up to you to treat them until the paramedics arrive. If you are dealing with an electrical emergency, the following steps can help you treat anyone who has been hurt.

Dealing With Electric Shocks

A frayed wire is an obvious safety hazard. To prevent an electric shock, make sure outlets and cords are in working order. If an electric shock occurs, the following steps can help you avoid severe injuries.

  1. Turn off the power supply as quickly as possible. You should also unplug the appliance that was involved.

  2. Do not touch the person while they are in direct contact with any electricity.

  3. Call 911.

Treating Someone for Electric Shock

After you call 911, the emergency responder will tell you to turn off the power source. If you can safely touch the person, you can check to see if they are breathing and have a pulse. Then, you should begin CPR if the individual does not have a pulse and is not breathing. You can also look for other injuries. If the individual is bleeding, you should apply pressure to the wound and make sure it is elevated. After the paramedics arrive, they will handle the rest of the patient's care.

Prevent Electric Shock by Removing Potential Hazards

Ideally, it is always better to prevent electrical hazards in your home. Preventative maintenance can stop minor issues from becoming major disasters. In a typical home, the following problems are the most common:

  • You have faulty wires

  • Water was placed too close to power outlets

  • Your light bulbs are too close to flammable materials

Bottom line: Unfortunately, many homes have improper connections, frayed extension cords, overheated wires and damaged appliances. Replacing faulty wires and repairing damaged appliances can help you prevent a major disaster. If you need help fixing your home's electrical wires, contact ElectricMan at (972) 362-1804.